Friday, June 21, 2013

Sephora Sun Safety Kit 2013 - Product Review #1



Recently I have been getting more into skincare and revving up my routine. I've read all over that sunscreen is the #1 anti-ager, and is oh so important, especially for people in their 20's. The fact that I was lazy about sunscreen during my teen years may be the cause behind the deep expression lines that are already forming on my forehead at the ripe old age of 23. I'm also really pale and burn pretty easily, so I thought using sunscreen daily would be a wise choice.

Obviously I saw this as an excuse to try out some fancy sunscreens. The problem with some sunscreens is that they do not wear well under makeup, and can cause break outs if worn daily. In May I had heard buzz about the Sephora Sun Safety kit, and somehow ended up at Sephora later that week with some leftover birthday gift cards in my hand. Can you guess what happened next?...

Yup, I bought it. For more about the Sun Safety Kit, keep reading!



One of my friends who works at Sephora happened to be working that day and ended up ringing me up with this purchase. It had just come out in stores that day, and she said people were calling all week, waiting to hear when it would be released. It was sold out online the first day it was available, and had received much hooplah on the reddit - specifically the makeup subreddit and skincare subreddit. (Does anyone think of this Spongebob episode when they hear the word "hooplah"? Cause I do.)




Right, so back to the point of this post. The Sephora Sun Safety Kit 2K13 edition comes with 18 sample-sized products, all necessary for summer - including sunscreen, anti-aging moisturizers (with SPF of course!), a bronzer, a setting powder, primers, and a self-tanner. It retails for $30 and is valued at $210.

Also, I would totally provide a link to this kit, if it wasn't currently sold out on Sephora.com. My apologies!



I decided it would be super duper fun to review every product! First up is the Clarins UV Plus HP Broad Spectrum SPF 40 sunscreen. A full size of this (1.7oz) retails for $40. This sunscreen protects from UVA and UVB, which I'm still not really sure what it means, but I've been reading that a lot of sunscreens only protect against one or the other and it's great it you can find one that protects against both. It also protects against environmental pollution (which I did not know sunscreen could do) and is oil-free (so it is safe for acne-prone skin and won't break you out!)

I had heard great things about Clarins skincare and specifically their sunscreen, so this was the product I was most eager to try first. It also comes in a tinted formula that the sales lady at Nordstrom tried to talk me into, but I stayed strong and didn't give in, although it's definitely still in the back of my mind. 



So I need to start by saying THIS PRODUCT IS AMAZING. I'm kind of sad I tried such a great product first, but now every other product in this kit has something to live up to.

This sunscreen is a thin, lightweight, watery consistency. The directions for the full-size bottle says to shake before each use, as the second ingredient is water. It blends into the skin beautifully (you don't have to rub and rub to get the white color to blend, which was always the reason why I hated applying sunscreen). It doesn't leave too much of a shine, either. It sinks into my skin pretty fast, so I do not have to wait long before applying my moisturizer. (I was always told to apply sunscreen before moisturizer!) It also smells really really good. It's a light-powdery scent, and the smell actually reminds me a lot of the Chanel Vitalumiere Aqua foundation.

Needless to say, I absolutely love this sunscreen, and am giving it a 10/10. There is not a single thing I do not like about it. Yay Clarins! Yay skincare!

Stay tuned for the next product review! Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment