Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October Birchbox (+ Goop)!

I am here with another Birchbox post!

I have found one downside to living in California: Birchboxes take forever to get here. Usually I get the e-mail about purchasing the things in my October box before I even get the box itself. I know, I know, #firstworldproblems.



You can't really tell from this picture, but the outside of the box was a light lavender with a cool texture-y look. 



So to preface this, every few months, Birchbox teams up with a brand for promotional purposes and gives you the choice to get a specialized boxed or the regular Birchbox for that month. In my experience (and comparing the boxes on other blogs), the promotional boxes are usually better in terms of quality of products and chances of getting something full-sized. I've never heard of "goop" but I decided to get the goop Birchbox since I've liked the other promotional boxes in the past.






This side of the card wasn't featured in my last Birchbox post, but it lists all the products in your specific box and how much it costs for the full size.


All the goodies!


First product is Kiehl's Aromatic Blends: Orange Flower & Lychee - Liquid Body Cleanser. I've heard really good things about this brand, and this product is sulfate-free which I know my skin will be happy about. This also smells really really good. Light and fruity but not too overpowering. A full-size 8.4 oz bottle is worth $24, so this sample is worth about $6.


From what I've read, a lot of people don't like getting Luna bars in their Birchbox, but I really like them! I usually throw them in my purse and they've come in handy when I'm out and get hungry (which is often). This one is chocolate raspberry flavored, yum! It's $14.95 for a pack of 15 so this bar is worth about $1.


The three samples that were wrapped up in the tissue paper. (The polish is NOT that color, I don't know why it looks so dark here!)



The next sample is a Daily Serum by Joanna Vargas. Unfortunately, it's $85 for a full-size (1 oz. bottle...only 1 ounce?!), which is crazy expensive, so even if I do like this I doubt I'll buy it at that price. However, because this is so pricey, my tiny 5mL sample is worth about $14


Did a fancy little pic-stitch type thing for this next sample. This is a full-size of Essie's polish in Power Clutch. This is not normally a color I'd buy myself, but I really like it! The pictures aren't really showing it true-to-color, it's not metallic-y. Me being the color expertise that I am, would say it's a dark "coal gray". Okay. Clearly I'm not a color expertise. This "sample" (except not really cause it's full-size) is worth $8! 


Yup. Another fancy pic-stitch. This last sample is Naked Princess's Naked Shine Luscious Lip Gloss. The swatch above is only one layer, and the packaging says to layer for "more intense color". I just tried this on my lips and I gotta say, I really like it. It's not too pigmented, so if you just want a little shine without too much color, this is perfect. It says it has a "gentle lip plumper" but it doesn't tingle or burn like some plumping lip glosses do (cough cough Buxom). It's also free of parabens, sulfate, and phthalates. I don't really know what any of those things are, but they sound bad. It's also cruelty-free, which I really like! (I'm not vegetarian or anything, but it's always nice to see the adorable little cruelty-free bunny on the back of makeup products.) Full-size is $26, and this sample is about $2.

So total this box was worth a whopping $31! Definitely worth the price ($10/month). Next month marks one year with my Birchbox subscription! Ahh, crazy! Birchbox is currently tempting me with year-subscription discounts and bonus points if I commit to a year subscription. I'm afraid I may give in, too.

If you like this post please click "join this site" (all you need is a Google, Twitter, or Yahoo! account) or you can follow by e-mail! Also, if you got any of these products in your birchbox, comment below and tell me what you thought of them!

Thanks for reading :)
- Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment